It was a whirlwind of a weekend. In addition to my graduation and Mother's day, I got a call Friday morning from my Uncle letting my know my Grandma Nancy had passed away that morning. A few months back we found out that my Grandma had a very serious cancerous brain tumor and was given 2-6 months to live. The tumor progressed very quickly and she, very quickly, digressed. Being in the last few weeks of my pregnancy, I was sad that I was unable to make it home to see her one last time. I was able to call her and tell her how much I loved her and talk about all the wonderful memories I have of her.
My grandmother was such a lovely soul. She sang in the church choir, volunteered at the hospital, and wrote beautiful letters and cards. She didn't have Internet or an email address and she believed that nothing could replace a good old card in the mail. She always eloquently talked about the beautiful weather in Ohio and the blooming Spring flowers. She always saw the positive side of things and the silver lining in the rain clouds. I have wonderful memories of walking to her house after school before my piano lesson where she would have sliced carrots in a bowl of ice water and a vegetable sandwich on toast...just they way I liked it! I remember setting up a restaurant in her basement and she would humor us by eating our play-doh food. She would let us raid her closet and dress up in all her frilly dresses, Sunday hats, and clip on costume earrings. I loved my Grandma very much and even though I didn't see her as much as I wish I would have, I believe we had a very special relationship that I am happy to have had.
Mother's Day came and I was able to book a flight to Ohio for Monday morning out of Phoenix. As quickly as we drove home Sunday evening, we were off driving up to Phoenix in the middle of the night. After a few loads of laundry, I repacked the bags and we were off. Deo had to work so it was just the baby and I. Trey did especially good on the plane, but it is just too difficult to do it alone. I baby bjorn-ed through two 2.5 hours flights and a 2 hour drive from Columbus to Lima to finally get in Monday night. It was a quick 4 day trip, but it was nice to see a lot of family that I hadn't seen in a LONG while...or ever. Trey also got to meet his Grandpa, and great grandparents Laurita's for the first time and he loved hanging out with them. It was a solemn trip to Ohio but am so glad that I was able to make it home for my Grandma. I love you Grandma and miss you tons!
1 comment:
So sorry to hear about your grandma! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Post a Comment