Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Last Vacation of the Summer

So I'm back to work with nothing else to look forward to until Winter Break. I guess we have Labor Day and Thanksgiving, but really no substantial time off work until xmas. Deo had to go to Boca Raton, FL for his National Sales Conference with work. His company does this at the same place every year and many employees bring families along to enjoy the weather and amenities. Trey and I decided to tag along even through I didn't really have the time off work or the money, but what the hey. It was a very different experience than I am used to for a vacation but I am so glad I went. It was finally one of those vacations where I came back and didn't feel like I needed a vacation. Hopefully Deo will continue to work for McGraw-Hill and hopefully they will continue to do the conference every summer so we can continue to tag along. I think once Trey's a little older he will have so much fun.

The conference was located at the Boca Raton Resort and Club and we stayed at the Boca Beach Club off the main hotel. The Beach Club is a little more family friendly and Deo's boss recommended staying there rather than the more uptight main hotel. First of all, I have never stayed a place like this ever. At first I felt very out of place. It's a very fancy-shmancy resort and Deo and I are not that kind of fancy-shmancy people. It was fun to pretend and rub elbows with other moms at the pool (and their nannies that most likely spoke very little English). There was lots of old, balding men with their 18 year old, exercise instructor "wives" with big, fake boobs. Oh and not to mention the cheapest thing on the menu was a $17 Burger that with all the service charges, taxes and fees came to about $33 dollars! Since Trey is still so young, we didn't do much of anything. We hung out in the room most of they day, making it to the beach or the pool for only about an hour a day. Deo had to work pretty much the entire time, but he got a few nights off where we ate at a really yummy Italian restaurant and Morimoto's (a fabulous sushi bar owned by Iron Chef Morimoto). I had had had to eat there since Deo and I love Iron Chef America and I gotta say, it was delicious sushi!

The last night, Deo's company rented out the entire pool and deck area of the club and had dinner for everyone. Families were welcome to attend so Trey and I got to meet and mingle with Deo's co-workers. Trey, of course, was the hit of the dinner and Deo's National Sales Manager even snagged him for a bit and was taking him around showing him off. She even took a picture with him with her cell phone which I thought was so funny. If Trey didn't realize he was cute before, he definitely knows it now after this trip.

Overall, I had a very relaxing time and now that I know what to expect, I think next time could be even better. As Trey gets older I think he will love playing in the pool and the beach all day so hopefully we'll get the chance to go again.

No comments: