So my favorite time of year is here. Sometimes I hate it that my favorite time of year is Christmas, because it is so cliche, but I can't help it. This weekend was the official start of it for me. For the first year since I've been in Arizona, we were able to put lights up on our house, which we did yesterday. I have to say...they sure look pretty! This year was also the first year EVER I ventured outat 6:00am the day after Thanksgiving for some holiday shopping. I only went to Michael's and Target and mostly got Christmas decorations...and actually it was kind of fun. The lines weren't too bad where I was and everyone seemed to be in a very cherry and spirited mood.
This is also the time of the year when I get very nostalgic and start miss my hometown of Lima, Ohio the most. It is so hard for me to get into the spirit of the holidays without cold weather and snow. I miss driving around in my wool peacoat, gloves, scarf, and hat to look at Christmas lights though the falling snow. I miss the life-sized Santa Clause that my mom used to put in our front window; and to look out that window and see our neighbors artfully hanging strands of colored lights on their two huge pine trees in their front yard. And speaking of two huge pine trees, I miss driving through the Kewpee drive-through and seeing their two huge pine trees lit up with twinkling white lights. I miss going to YMCA and walking outside to the crisp coldness after being all sweaty from my workout. I miss making snow angels in the front yard, and watching our dogs chase snowflakes around as they fall. I miss going over to my Nana and Grandpa's and sledding down the resevoir in their back yard; and then going through the basement snow door to strip off our frozen clothes into the dryer; and then making our way upstairs for hot chocolate and cookies. I miss decorating the dozens of sugar cookies our nieghbor, Mrs. Bowsher, would give to us in exchange for some Buckeys.
It's hard being away from all of my memories during this time of year, but Deo and I are making new memories of our own and I appreciate all of the wonderful things Tucson brings to the Holiday season!
2 comments:
Thank you for inviting me to your blog. =) I'm glad I'll be able to keep up with you outside of my monthy visit to Eller. I was thinking about you the other day because I remember tha like me, you love Christmas, and I was wondering if you had busted out with the Christmas music yet or if I was the only one...so sad.
Yeah for buckeyes and Ohio winters! Love the holiday sparkle and looking forward to keeping up on the blog. take care, Lauren
Post a Comment