Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Those who can't do...teach
So I'm not sure what qualifies me to give anyone career advice. I feel like a fraud sometimes; talking to students about how to search for an internship, or get a job in LA. Heck, I've been to LA once for 12 hours and stayed in the hotel the whole time. I tell students to take chances, step out of their comfort zone, and network, network, network. But me? I hate networking, shmoozing, and any other form of it. I work in a job where I earned my degree, and worked during college. Talk about comfort zone. I'm thinking about transfering into another graduate degree program becuase the one I am in currently is WAY out of my comfort zone....no matter what excuse I give for wanting to transfer out of it. I'm only a few years older (sometimes younger) than the students that I advise and I really should be asking me the same questions I ask them. What do you like to do? What classes do you enjoy? What non-academic activities are you in? What research have you done? Maybe it's the fact that I can critique everyone else on how they have no direction, no ambition, and no self-awareness that makes me feel better. Like I'm not the only one. Or maybe it goes back to the old adage, "Those who can't do...teach." Maybe that's why on my Strong Interest Inventory over 50% of my top 10 occupations came back as some type of teacher.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment